Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Review: Moloka'i - Alan Brennert

One of the things I decided to do this year is read as many books as I can. I love reading and getting lost in a book, it makes you forget about your own troubles.

This book I actually read while I was in Texas before my husband left, so it doesn't count in my total of books read, but I wanted to share it. You know how so many books and movies leave you wondering at the end, "so what happened then?" They just end abruptly and leave you feeling unsatisfied. This is not one of those stories, which is why I enjoyed it so much. The story begins with Hawaiian native Rachel at age 7, when she discovers she has contracted Leprosy. She is separated from her family and sent away to live in a Leprosy colony on another island called Moloka'i. The people she meets become her new family, and the characters and relationships are well-developed as they struggle with discrimination, love and loss. It made me smile, it made me cry, and made me appreciate life and family more. I also enjoyed the historical and geographical setting because I have spent a good amount of time in Hawai'i and could picture the landscapes and cities and imagine how they must have been even more breathtaking at that time. This is a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment