Saturday, September 3, 2011

State Fair Top 10

I was SO happy that while we were home in MN, we got to go to the MN State Fair. I think I have gone every year of my life (at least every year that we were in town). I was so sad thinking that I may not have gotten to go this year since I moved away. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to go as it is one of my favorite times of year.

Mostly, I love the fair because of the food. But here are my top 10 favorite things at the fair:

1) Cheese on a stick - This is my absolute favorite food at the fair. I ate two while I was there this year since I only got to go one day. It is a stick of cheese that is deep fried in a corn batter and served on a stick. I recently bought a cornbread pan specially for making stuffed cornbread muffins and am experimenting with how to make it taste like cheese on a stick.


2) Cheese curds - Yeah, yeah I love cheese. If you know me you know I have a ridiculous love for cheese. Cheese curds are a must at the fair, but no way I can eat a whole order on my own. WAY TOO MUCH GREASE.

3) Sweet Martha's Cookies and the unlimited milk stand - These are not just any ordinary cookies. There is nothing like getting an overflowing bucket or cone full of hot gooey cookies and heading to the milk stand to stuff your face full of chocolate chip goodness.

4) French fries - LOVE the french fries at the state fair. That's all I have to say about that.

5) Pronto Pups- Not your ordinary corn dog. I believe these are made with a wheat based batter instead of corn. I like that the booths say "Wiener dun in a bun."

6) New crazy foods (often on a stick) - This year the new food I tried was deep fried cookie dough on a stick. I wasn't sure how it would look, but it was 3 balls of fried dough. Super ooey gooey, hot cookie dough complete with powdered sugar making it near impossible to eat neatly. While we were eating this in the food building a couple from NY was sharing out table and the woman was majorly struggling with eating it off the stick...amateur. They thought we were nuts for putting everything on a stick.

7) Baby animals - The miracle of birth building is both adorable and disgusting. While I do not want to watch a live birth of a cow (especially multiple times, seeing it once was enough), I do enjoy seeing the babies that have already been born. Like these adorable little duckies.

8) Alpacas - There is a booth by the animal buildings that sells alpaca woolen goods, and usually has a couple cute alpacas hanging out there. I always want to buy the hats, but I don't. I also always want to buy an alpaca, but I can't...

9) People watching - The MN State Fair is a prime people watching location. If you sit anywhere for more than 5 minutes, you will watch seas of people wander by. Often these people have horrible outfits, hair, fanny-packs, etc. If I did more picture taking than I did eating, I would take more pictures of things that make me laugh.

10) Fine Arts Building - Most of the buildings at the fair are pretty boring, but I love the Fine Arts Building. There are a lot of talented artists in MN. There were too many staff members in there this year so I wasn't able to take a picture of the amazing mosaic that was there this year. But it inspired me to pick that hobby back up.

There you have it. My top ten. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment